The Dangers of Toxic Water Exposure

Imagine being deployed to a military base in a foreign country. You and your fellow servicemembers are working around the clock to complete your mission. Then, one day, you’re told that the water you’ve been drinking, showering in, and cooking with is contaminated with toxic chemicals.


Unfortunately, this is not a hypothetical situation. In recent years, there have been a number of cases of servicemembers being exposed to toxic water while deployed. In some cases, the contamination has been the result of faulty equipment or negligence on the part of base personnel. In other cases, the cause has been enemy action. Regardless of the cause, exposure to toxic water can have serious consequences for servicemembers’ health.


Toxic Water Exposure and Health Risks

Toxic water exposure on base can cause a number of different health problems, depending on the specific contaminants present in the water. For example, exposure to certain chemicals can cause skin irritation, respiratory problems, and gastrointestinal issues. Some chemicals can also cause cancer or other long-term health problems. Servicemembers who have been exposed to toxic water should seek medical attention as soon as possible so that their health can be monitored for potential problems.


In addition to the immediate health risks posed by toxic water exposure, there is also the potential for long-term health problems. Some chemicals that can contaminate water are known to be “endocrine disruptors.” This means that they can interfere with the normal function of hormones in the body. Endocrine disruptors have been linked to a variety of long-term health problems, including cancer, reproductive issues, and developmental problems in children. Servicemembers who have been exposed to endocrine-disrupting chemicals should be monitored by a doctor for these potential health problems. 



Toxic water exposure is a serious problem that can pose significant risks to servicemembers’ health. If you have been deployed and believe you may have been exposed to contaminated water, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible so that any potential health problems can be identified and treated accordingly.